A classic! Parmesan breaded eggplant slices layered with tomato sauce and cheese. A great way to hide veggies!
2 pounds eggplant (about 2 eggplants)
2 Tablespoons water
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups prepared tomato sauce
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat oven to 350°. Slice eggplant into ½-inch slices.
2. Mix egg and water in a large bowl or pie plate. In another bowl or pie plate mix bread crumbs and Parmesan. Dip eggplant slices into the egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
3. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook the eggplant slices in batches, about 5 minutes each, turning once, until golden.
4. Place ½ of the cooked eggplant slices in an ungreased 11x7x1 ½ inch rectangular baking dish. Spoon 1 cup of sauce over the eggplant in the baking dish; sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat with remaining eggplant slices, sauce and cheese.
5. Bake uncovered 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden.
Serve with pasta.
Makes 6 servings